Wednesday, March 20, 2019

tequila mockingbird

This may not be new to many readers, but I found it amusing to hear that the Boston Public Library will today begin serving adult tea beverages with punny titles.

One of their drinks is called Tequila Mockingbird.  I wonder if Atticus would approve.  The Atticus of the original would, I suspect. The fellow in Go Tell a Watchman, not so sure.

Regardless, this is another good reason to visit the library.

Just as an aside, I had to read To Kill a Mockingbird as a sophomore in high school.  I once heard a colleague comment that research can change lives.  I think good research can, but believe with more certainty that good books can.  And To Kill a Mockingbird was one of those.  Add Native Son to the list, a book I was glad to have to read in college, and The Cider House Rules, which I read on a recommendation in my 30s.  There are dozens more.  The point is that living in books can add to the notions we have in our head, and help us think about this life, the one shot we have.  "The grave's a fine and private place, but none I think do there embrace."  And while lying for eternity in our graves we do not have an opportunity to think, act on the basis of how we think, and make a dent in the world.

I can make the claim that books have affected my life, but I wonder if the nonsense we accrue and do not purge are impediments to taking action based on wisdom absorbed from reading books. The Cider House Rules reinforced my sense that we have our personal set and have to be careful to stay in tune with them. To Kill a Mockingbird implanted somewhere in my noggin--or just reinforced-- the importance of courage in the face of external pressure.  Native Son did more than reinforce.  Just turned my head around.  Probably a tip of the cap to the instructor for the course.

 I'd like to think that my behavior reflects the lessons learned or refreshed from these and other books. 

Probably need a Tequila Mockingbird to help me consider the extent to which they've had an effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment