Sunday, March 31, 2013

1-1

In one part of the Madness of March I relay a conversation I had with a fellow I call Wally.  Winthrop, a school that had done well in the first round of the 2007 tournament, does not do well in the second and Wally has lost a bet.  Wally complains to someone within hearing distance, me.

"...Winthrop. Did they lay an egg or what. They play great against Notre Dame, raise up my hopes and then they lay an egg. You know what it shows don't you?."

"What does it show?" I asked him.

"You just don't know."

"You just don't know?"

"It just goes to show" Wally said and took a very deep breath, "You just don't know."

Very astute observation by Wally.  Yesterday I went 1-1, winning the Syracuse prediction and losing when the Wichita State shockers, shocked Ohio State and nearly everyone else.  This brings my sweet sixteen predictions to 4-6 going into the last two games of the weekend.  I predict I win both today, because that would bring my forecasts to 50 percent, precisely the figure you would likely get if you projected heads or tales on a series of  coin flips.

So, with confidence, take Louisville today and give up the points.  Do the same with Florida over Michigan.  Both Louisville and Florida will cover.  But you know, you just don't know.

On a completely unrelated topic, today is the anniversary of President Johnson stunning the world by announcing that he would not seek nor accept the Democratic nomination in 1968.  Nobody predicted that.

No comments:

Post a Comment