Friday, April 3, 2009

Ballys

I had a radio interview with a fellow from NPR in Las Vegas yesterday. In the course of the conversation he told me that Ballys would be temporarily closing its sports book for a few months. Later I went on line and saw a story about the closing. The reason given was that business was down due to the turbulence with the economy.

There was no evidence of any downturn at Ballys when I was in Las Vegas in mid March for the first few days of the tournament. Ballys, always a popular venue, was packed very early on Thursday morning and nearly every time I went to view the games there during the weekend.

Along with the Venetian, the Imperial Palace, Paris, and Caesars, Ballys was a regular stop for me in 2007 while I watched the games and the people for the Madness of March: Bonding and Betting with the Boys in Las Vegas. I bonded and betted with many of the boys in Ballys as readers may remember.

Bettors, no doubt, are shaking their heads sadly at this news. The odds are very good that Ballys will be back. The prediction is that it will reopen in the Fall. I think it is wise, in this instance, to take the under.

No comments:

Post a Comment