Thursday, March 17, 2016

Trump

Most of my friends, professional colleagues, and gym cronies spend time mocking Donald Trump.  I have joined in on the bashing. He is not at all my cup of tea.

What I don't like most about Trump is his complete absence of humility.  It sounds like he really believes his own narrative that he is "the Donald" and close to perfect in every way.  When I saw President Obama introduce Merrick Garland yesterday I imagined the contrast between Obama's presence and what it would look like if Trump was in a similar situation.

We--people who think like me--may get good yucks out of bashing Trump, but it is time to consider the possibility that we are not in the majority.  I heard a liberal panelist remark a day or two ago that she does not know "what Kool-Aid Trump supporters are drinking."  Well, maybe that is a clever and apt line, but it is time for those concerned about the direction of the country to think of Donald Trump as a serious candidate and someone who can defeat Secretary Clinton in November.

Nobody will move faster to the center and become more sedate (superficially) than Trump will once/if he receives the nomination.  He'll dart to the center faster than a defensive back closes in on a thrown football.  Before you know it, his policies will sound almost reasonable. We will hear less of the ridiculous wall he intends to build, his call to bar Muslims will become muted, and he is unlikely to suggest that he has a mighty penis.  I don't think we will hear many more of the outrageous comments he has made about his opponents and the media (referring to Rubio and Cruz as "morons" for example, or suggesting that a female journalist was asking a tough question because she was menstruating).

All those people who have voted for Trump and who have heard the snickers are not turning back. They are entrenched now as Trump supporters even if he backs down on his absurd comments.  As he moves to the center I fear that more people will say, "you know he's not so bad."  Some voters will hear something they like (e.g. we will not tolerate terrorists) and be swayed to not factor in that Trump once commented that he would "go after their families."  Then you'll have the misogynists. The misogynists ( and don't kid yourself for a second these cats are both male and female) might edge over to Trump because the idea of a woman in the white house (and an uppity woman at that) just does not sit with their world view.

I am concerned that Trump might win.  And I think it is time for those who have ridiculed him--for good reason--to stop ridiculing his supporters.  You may think they are foolish for not seeing who he is, but when you call someone an idiot, they are not likely to be persuaded to come over to your side.  It is time to find out what the supporters see in Trump and instead of making fun of their position attempt to respond to reasonable concerns they have.

I am a strong Obama supporter.  I do not get the vitriolic opposition to say "Obamacare" and him in general.  I tend to think it is about race more often than not.  And I don't feel like placating those who might be motivated to dislike a president or person because of race.  I'm not sure that is Trump's motivation.  I think Trump is just in love with Trump and thinks he can do no wrong. I believe this absence of self-awareness would embarrass and imperil the country. Yet I think Trump can win and it is important now for those who dismiss his followers as Jonestown nut cases, to start to respect whatever it is that is making people vote for Donald Trump.  And if possible get Independents and cross over Democrats to reconsider.

1 comment: