Saturday, January 2, 2016

lummer dur shoyn zayn uff yenner zyte teer

My father and mother were Yiddish experts.  Dad was a lecturer and with my mother an entertainer telling yiddish stories to audiences as far west as Louisville, but most often in the greater New York area and South Florida.

I had the good fortune of learning some Yiddish just by hanging around.  My memory is not bad so I could remember many of the expressions they would use, not only when entertaining, but when giving a dig to one another--or to me.

The last time they visited here was Memorial Day in 2012. A friend of theirs who lives hereabouts had a granddaughter who was getting married.  We were trying very hard to make their visit a good one and, I fear, may have been a bit too solicitous. They were appreciative however.  At one point we were going to take a walk while my folks were resting on the deck to the home. I wanted to make sure that they had everything they needed.

After I asked if they wanted a cold drink or could hear the radio or whatever it was that I wanted to provide for the hour or so we would be gone, my father made this quip in Yiddish.

 lummer dur shoyn zayn uff yenner zyte teer.

It was an expression I had never heard before.  I found out that loosely translated it means "get lost."

More specifically, it means:   Let me see you on the other side of the door already.


lummer  dur  shoyn   zayn   uff  yenner      zyte    teer
          Let me   you  already see     on   the other  side    of the door

I got a laugh out of the wisecrack and liked it so much that I asked my mother to write it down. Yesterday I was doing a new year's day cleaning and found the piece of paper that she had written on three plus years ago.  It made me smile to remember the incident, but today it got me a sad.  I miss giving them a call on New Year's and wishing them well.  They are now on the other side of the door.  
Of course, it happens.  We all will go through that door.  

If you can hear me folks, happy new year.  If they can, I am sure dad has a Yiddish wisecrack coming back at me.

For those on this side of the door, Happy New Year.


No comments:

Post a Comment