Sunday, July 10, 2011

world cup

Since I was old enough to be aware of such things, I was surprised at how frenzied soccer fans were about their game. I knew of course how Americans would get riled about basketball, football, baseball, and hockey--but soccer seemed to be the kind of sport that could not engage enough people. And, of course, I was wrong--since soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

Today's match between the United States and Brazil might explain why that is. I noticed when reading the paper today that there was a world cup match at 11 a.m. eastern time. Sometime around 12:40 when I had some laundry to fold I put on the game while attending to the task.

Then I was hooked until the end of the second period, and the two overtimes, and the shoot out. The United States came back in the last seconds to tie the game, and then won in the shootout. The tying goal was truly a work of art. I found myself as excited about the end of that game as I have been for any sporting event in a month or two--and that includes the Bruins' championship.

So, for naysayers who consider soccer some inexplicable attraction, give it a chance. A game like today's would make a believer out of you.

1 comment:

  1. You've changed. Not the game. I've always felt soccer would be tolerable if played with three balls at the same time with the same amount of players. Like bombardment when we where kids. Soccer takes unparalled strategy and physicals talent but requires patience and focus to watch. Maybe Europeans and third world nationals are born old. You've developed more patience and focus. Soon you'll be looking at real estate in quaint villages in remote regions of France, Italy, or Spain. Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete