Sunday, July 28, 2013

Book Review: Await Your Reply

Unusual book.

Are  we who we purport to be?  This book is, on the surface, about identity theft.  It is presented as three discrete stories which are presented alternatively 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1...  For the first 150 pages at least you wonder how they relate.

It was not a page turner in the beginning. I found myself looking forward to Lucy's tale, for example, and not excited when it was Miles's.    Some of the novel is far fetched, though perhaps not as far fetched to those who are knowledgeable about identity theft and computers.   Also, while impressed by the plot as it unfolds, I found some of the story amateurish and some subplots were unresolved.

My take-away is the message that seems to pervade the book.  Who we are may not be who we purport to be and, the same can be said of those we think we know.  That is, who they claim to be, may not be who they are.  That message is powerful enough for me to recommend the book, but only for those who find this idea worth investigating.  It would not be the book I suggest you read when you are reluctand to explore  just who your spouse turned out to be or if you are not even so sure who you yourself have become.

I am very curious to know what happens to Lucy.  Maybe that's going to be the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment